Friday, September 27, 2013

Weekly Roundup - Taking A Stab At Making The Cut

Chef School: Vegetable Cuts -  This week at chef school was all about focus and precision as we learned the basics of vegetable cuts. Although there was much less to accomplish and present for marks compared to last week and future weeks, this week was just as intense as we pulled our rulers out to practice cutting carrots, onions, celery, parsnips, and leeks into perfect  Julienne, Brunoise, Batonnet, CarrĂ©, Slice, and Paysanne cuts. This is definitely one area of cooking that I still need a lot of practice. Despite my final product being deemed "very good" by my teacher, each sample of each cut took me far too long, and had me silently cursing far too much. It seems that the question "what the hell have I gotten myself into?!" will be popping into my head each week as I feel the pressure to produce a result that I am proud to show my teacher in the appropriate amount of time. I'm hoping to find some time this weekend (even though it's my birthday weekend!) to do some cooking so I can continue to practice my vegetable cuts and maybe, just maybe, it will begin to feel more natural.

I Had No Idea! Things I learned in class this week:
  • When julienning an onion, cut towards the root. When slicing an onion, cut parallel to the root.
  • Julienne (Very fine strips)
    • 4cm x 3mm x 3mm
  • Brunoise (Very small dice. Cross cut of julienne)
    • 3mm x 3mm x 3mm 
  • Batonnet (Small sticks)
    • 4cm x 1/2cm x 1/2cm
  • CarrĂ© (Dice. Cross cut of batonnet)
    • Small = 1/2cm x 1/2cm x 1/2cm
    • Medium = 1cm x 1cm x 1cm
    • Large = 2cm x 2cm x 2cm
  • Paysanne (peasant style) = Any geometric shape, using the natural shape of the vegetable.

On My Mind:
Took the words out of my mouth: Blurring The Lines of Feminism: A Criticism of the Criticism of "Blurred Lines"

Why I'll never be the girl who wears heels all the time.

Girls Don't Poop.

Can't wait to check out the massive David Bowie is exhibit at the AGO that opened this week! It's on until November 27th. 

Dear Kanye, it's OK to laugh

Barbie's got a new job! Welcome to the RCMP!


Follow
 me on Twitter!
Like me on Facebook!
Follow me on Instagram!
Follow me on Pinterest!


Listening To:

No comments: