Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Poached Egg with Beans & Avocado

Sometimes the simplest of things can be the most striking. Take a recent lunch that I whipped up for instance. Leftover as-humble-as-can-be Heinz baked beans are reheated and act as the base to hold a soft-poached egg, sliced avocado, Sriracha hot sauce, and a little green onions and cilantro for garnish...and that's all she wrote. Just a few simple ingredients kicking around my fridge turned into a beautifully striking, comforting, and delicious lunch that I am proud to snap a photo of and re-make again for friends and family. No real recipe here, just a few ingredients that needed to be used up that I thought would be good friends together. The party in my mouth proved that those ingredients turned out to be the best of friends! 

* I used Heinz because it was leftover in my fridge! Use more or less to your liking.
** I didn't have fresh cilantro, but I always keep a tube of preserved ready-to-go cilantro in my fridge for flavour emergencies!

Ingredients:
1 egg
about 3/4 cup baked beans* 
1/2 avocado, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
Sriracha hot sauce, for garnish
chives, chopped, for garnish
cilantro, chopped, for garnish** 

Directions:
  1. Reheat baked beans in a small pot on the stove, or in the microwave until hot.
  2. Poach egg for 4 minutes in water with a bit of vinegar in it or using a poach pod.
  3. Place heated beans in a small serving dish. Top with the poached egg. Add the sliced avocado and season with salt and pepper to taste. 
  4. Drizzle over desired amount of Sriracha hot sauce and sprinkle with green onions and cilantro. Take a picture and show off to your friends about your simple and delicious lunch! Serve immediately.
Listening To:
Alt-J - Something Good

Powered by mp3skull.com

No comments: