Sunday, August 21, 2011

Food Truck Eats: Part 2

If you're anything like me and have been watching episodes of Eat St. religiously, salivating over each and every delicious creation being produced within the teeny confines of a truck, then you will love Toronto's very own Food Truck Eats just as much as I did! With the food truck trend thriving all over America, and even in some Canadian cities, it was about time that Toronto, a hub for food culture in Canada, jump on board as well. Easier said than done, the biggest issue in getting Toronto's food truck scene up and running is due to licensing problems. All I can say is thank goodness for the passionate foodies we have in Toronto, refusing to take "no" for an answer. Thanks to Suresh Doss of Spotlight Toronto, Toronto's Distillery District has been taken over by a Food Truck rally twice already, with two more rallies to go, to get people supporting what will surely be one hell of a food truck culture right here in our home.
After missing the first Food Truck Eats rally in July, I couldn't wait to get my butt down to the distillery to finally check out what all the buzz was about. As high as my expectations were for the food, I have to admit that I was a little nervous about the lines...ok, maybe more than a little. After seeing pictures on my twitter feed of the swarms and swarms of people that gathered for the first Food Truck Eats, I was put off by the idea of standing in line for lord knows how long, in the sweltering Toronto heat for a small dish that I would no doubt devour in a matter of seconds. It's an understatement to say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that despite how intimidating some of the lines may appear, they do in fact move quickly, allowing me to hit up quite a number of trucks and vendors. Although I got to taste so many delicious food truck eats (with each item $5 and under it's easy to attempt to try them all!), of course I have my favourites. Hands down my all-time favourite food truck eat of the day, that I have not stopped day dreaming about since first tasting it, is the Voltron Fish Taco from La Carnita.
OH
MY
GOD
I'm not one for sappy love songs, but that taco deserves a lil Whitney. "And IIIIIII will alwaaaays loooove youuuuuuuu" just kept ringing in my ears with every bite. La Carnita's fresh homemade tortillas (I know, it's won over your heart already) are stuffed with a generous piece of fresh cod, battered in a light and crisp beer batter, and topped with a crunchy slaw and their signature Voltron sauce, handheld perfection. Not just master taco makers, La Carnita also promotes local artists, handing out beautiful La Carnita prints drawn by their featured artist of the day for free. No matter how bad I wanted to try every truck and vendor, I could only fit so many eats in this belly of mine. The dishes that i was able to try were:
Voltron Fish Tacos
Fresh Watermelon Lemonade
Chili Corn Fritters
Wasabi Lobster Wrap
Churros with Dark Chocolate Dipping Sauce
Homemade Grapefruit Ginger Lime Popsicle
Homemade Strawberry Basil Balsamic Popsicle
Peach Pie

Food Truck Eats was a wild success gathering thousands of Toronto's foodies to celebrate tasty cheap eats, and raising over $3000 for Second Harvest, providing over 7000 of Toronto's hungry with a healthy meal. I had such a fun and delicious time at the event, I'm practically counting down the days till Food Truck Eats Part 3, which just so happens to be October 1st, the day after my birthday...hangover food truck eats anyone?

Listening To:
The Weeknd - The Birds (Pt. 1)

Powered by mp3skull.com

No comments: