Saturday, March 12, 2011

Scallops with Bacon in a White Wine Sauce

If you read my previous post you'll understand a bit about where my heads been at lately. I apologize if I seem to post these "I'm in a weird funk" kind of posts fairly often, but in all honesty, this is more than just a food blog to me, but a form of expression, almost like a cryptic little diary that I can use to vent about whatever is on my mind. If you know me personally, you may know that I have gotten in a little bit of trouble in the past venting about my personal triumphs or woes in public on the internet, a mistake that I do not wish to repeat. So I now choose to play it safe and express myself through cooking, baking, photography, graphic editing, and creative writing. Although no, I'm not always directly stating what's on my mind, but my blog allows for me to express just enough to get it off my chest and feel relief, while still respecting my privacy. I have had a number of readers express to me that they would like to learn more about who I am outside of Ginger Rose, and although I may be timid to do so at first, little by little I want to start letting you in more. Although yes, I will be injecting my entries with a bit more about me, including more photos and personal stories, there are still many things that I feel the need to express, yet I don't believe my blog is the appropriate place. I recently started a Tumblr account called Ginger Rose Expressions to use as another avenue for expression. With photos, audio, and video that I find inspirational or reflect what I'm feeling as well as my personal experiments in photography, editing, and maybe even creative writing in the future, my Tumblr page will go beyond food to take you a bit deeper into my world. If you're interested in learning more about me, I welcome you to check out my Tumblr Ginger Rose Expressions, where I will be posting daily.

In my previous entry I also stated that I want to start cooking and baking more, and begin taking more risks with my cooking. Until know, other than the occasional burst of confidence, I have been pretty safe with my cooking, because, quite frankly, I was still new to it. Although I've had a food blog for two years now (Monday will be my two-year blogiversary!) I have to admit that I don't think I took in as much as I could have in those two years. I was certainly not cooking as much as I should have been, which meant that I didn't learn near as much as I believe I should have. Always timid and a bit scared of the unfamiliar, you may notice that I often stayed away from cooking many meats and seafood. The new me, isn't timid and afraid. The new me realizes that the only way I can move forward is to push my boundaries, take chances, and learn from my mistakes. So the other night when my mom suggested for me to make scallops, I swallowed my fear, took a deep breath, did a bit of research and threw myself in!

I found a delicious-sounding recipe for Seared Scallops with Bacon from Martha Stewart, that sounded simple, easy to execute and, even better, we had all the ingredients! I was most nervous about the the final texture of my scallops, as overcooked scallops can result in hard, rubbery, and dry scallops...not exactly what I was looking for. So instead of slicing the scallops in half as the recipe suggested, I left the scallops whole so that I they would cook a little slower, and I would have a bit more control. The final product turned out great! My scallops were perfectly cooked, light and tender and full of so much flavour from the smokey bacon, sweet yet mild shallots, and white wine. With its beautiful presentation, this recipe would be a great show-stopper to serve to company or even to your own family during the week!

Ingredients:
4-6 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 pound large sea scallops, cleaned with tough white muscle removed
2 shallots, minced
1 cup white wine
salt and pepper to season

Directions:
1. In a large saute pan set at medium-low heat, add the bacon. Cook slowly, stirring frequently, until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.

2. Drain excess fat, leaving a thin coat on the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to medium, add scallops to pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until golden brown and opaque, about 2 minutes per side.

3. Transfer scallops to the serving dish, drain any excess liquid, leaving a small layer in the pan, and add shallots to pan. When shallots are translucent, add white wine; scrape browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, 3-4 minutes. Stir in butter, and pour over scallops. Top with reserved bacon. Serve alongside my Balsamic-Glazed Green Beens and Shallots.

Listening To:
The Knife - Pass This On (Original Mix)

Powered by mp3skull.com

No comments: