Thursday, September 2, 2010

Spicy Papaya and Brie Quesadillas

I have no idea when and where exactly my mom came across this recipe, but am I ever thankful that she did! Honestly, one of the best parts of my summer is when my mom makes her Spicy Papaya and Brie Quesadillas. Nothing beats sitting by the pool with a mango daquiri in one hand, and a spicy and exotic quesadilla in the other. And if you've had the privilege of lounging by the Rose family pool, munching on my mom's quesadillas, you know I'm not kidding! I know some of you may be thinking that this is too strange of a combination, or you may not like papayas, but trust me here, no life is complete without trying these. Ok I may sound a bit hyperbolic, but seriously, I have no doubt that you will fall head over heels in love with this quick and easy side. I know all of my friends and family have!

Ingredients:
4 medium-sized flour tortillas, or 6 mini
1 medium-large sized papaya, peeled and cut into thin slices
about 1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped jalapeno peppers (I used jarred jalapenos)
enough brie to spread on half of each tortilla (1 small wheel is enough to be safe)
sour cream (to serve)

Directions:
1. In a small pan, add olive oil. Once heated, add the chopped onion and jalapeno peppers. Sautee until softened and browned. Stirring occasionally.

2. While onion and jalapeno's are cooking, lay out your tortillas on a flat surface. Using a butter knife, carefully and evenly spread the brie onto half of each tortilla.

3. Top the brie-covered side of the tortilla with the sauteed onions and jalapenos. And then top that with the slices of papaya

4. Lightly oil a large baking sheet or line with parchment paper. Fold the empty side of the tortilla over all of your quesadilla ingredients, and transfer to baking sheet. Bake at about 300ยบ for 6-8 minutes, or until brie has melted.

5. Cut into halves or quarters, and serve immediately with sour cream.

Listening To:

1 comment:

Diana Mieczan said...

Yummmy...You have always such a great recipes:)

Kisses