Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dill and Lemon Balm Potato Salad

My backyard is my favourite part of my house. My parents put a lot of work into it to make it look as gorgeous as it does, so they decided to treat themselves and their friends to a fantastic backyard party. I think everyone had it in their minds that the party was just going to be hors d'oeuvres and drinks, but I don't think that just simple hors d'oeuvres and drinks exists in my family. With us we have to go ALL out! The simple hors d'oeuvres and drinks turned into a massive feast! I can't believe how much food my parents made, and every bit of it was fantastic! I'm a little embarrassed to say that I only contributed one dish to the party, my Dill and Lemon Balm Potato Salad. This potato salad combines the bright and fresh flavours of dill and lemon to create a simple, yet delicious side. Using sour cream in place of traditional mayonnaise in this recipe makes the salad lighter...allowing you to eat more!

Ingredients:
1.5 Il. mini red potatoes
2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pureed
2 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
2-3 tbsp fresh lemon balm, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
about 3/4 cup sour cream
the juice from 1/2 a lemon
freshly ground salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Place potatoes in water and allow to boil. Once water has boiled, reduce heat to low and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until tender when inserted with a fork. Let rest until able to handle with hands, and then cut into quarters.

2. Toss the potatoes with garlic, olive oil, dill, lemon balm, chives, and lemon juice.

3. Add the sour cream in small amounts at a time, making sure not to overdress. Season with salt and pepper and mix to combine. Don't worry about being gentle. The potatoes are meant to break up slightly, it allows the flavour of the dressing to take hold of them. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Listening To:
Arcade Fire - Suburban War

Powered by mp3skull.com

1 comment:

Diana Mieczan said...

I love potatoes..I could live on them...hahaha...really:)
That dill and lemon potato salad looks so yummy:)

Kisses and have a lovely afternoon:)