Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Rosemary Fries

French fries have become a bit of a staple in my house. Ever since we bought our own deep fryer years ago, we have been frying up all sorts of different fries from hand-cut, matchstick, curly, sweet potato, the list goes on! Although I didn't take part in the preparation and cooking of the fries originally, it has now become a bit of a family production line where my mum cuts the fries, my dad fries them up, and I dress them and prepare a dip. This time, I wanted to utilize my fresh herbs in flavouring the fries, while not overpowering the crispy golden potatoes.

Ingredients:
Potatoes (depends on how much fries you are preparing)
oil for frying
sea salt or kosher salt
rosemary, finely chopped

Directions:
1. Cut the fries into whatever shape or size you like.

2. Soak the cut potatoes in cold water for at least 15 minutes to remove excess starch and pat dry after soaking.

3. In a frying pan or deep fryer, heat the oil to 325º and fry the potatoes in small batches for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from oil and let sit on paper towels while frying other batches.

4. Reheat the oil to 375º and refry the already cooked fries in batches, until golden, about another 4-6 minutes.

5. Place cooked fries in a basket lined with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and rosemary.

6 comments:

lisaiscooking said...

Those look great with the rosemary! I could eat these every day.

redkathy said...

The guys in my house relish potatoes. I tried rosemary with sweet potato fries hoping they would like those too... no deal. How did you get those fries so curly anyway?

Janice said...

I never put rosemary with my fries before, always plain or with garlic. I'll have to try this out

Angie's Recipes said...

I like to put parsley when making fries....rosemary sounds even better.

Angie's Recipes

The Peach Tart said...

These look awesome and I'm sure extra crispy from the double frying process.

GarlicBOSS said...

Look extremely good rosemary is great