Saturday, April 11, 2009

Passover Feast: P5 The Seder Plate


The Seder plate is an essential item for the Passover table. The seder plate includes:
Charoset - chopped apple and nut mixture
Maror - bitter herb
Chazeret - another bitter herb
Z'roa - roasted shank bone (note that the bone we used was not the shank bone....I'm half Jewish so I figure I can get away with it...I'm jew-ish)
Karpas - green vegetable or herb
Beitzah - egg
Note: a bowl of salt water should be served on the side for dipping

Charoset is my favourite part of the seder plate and is intended to be served during the Seder on pieces of matzo. It is very light in colour when it is first made, but after a day in the fridge the colour intensifies.
Note: This is a part of the meal that can easily be made ahead.

Ingredients:
6 peeled apples, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
grated rind of 1 lemon
4 tbsp sweet red wine

Directions:
1. Put all ingredients in food processor and blend until you achieve the desired texture. I prefer mine with texture.

Photography by Ruzan Orkestar

No comments: