Thursday, March 19, 2009

Nutella Cookies





I know in my last entry I said that it was time to start thinking healthy, but come on, who could resist these decadent Nutella cookies?! I can barely resist Nutella to begin with but put it in the form of a cookie and I'm a gonner!

I got the recipe from here but changed it slightly. I figured while we're going all out and making these already sinful cookies, what's another 1/2 cup of chocolate chips! Trust me, the chocolate chips make this cookie sooo much better!
Tip: If you buy the hazelnuts whole with skins on, toast them lightly and then rub them with a towel. Most of the skins will come right off and whatever is left on is ok to leave.
Note: If you don't have any unsalted butter on hand (as I did not) it is ok (although many pastry chefs would kick me for saying this) to use margarine. It tastes just as good!

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt (if unavailable, regular salt is fine)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter, chocolate hazelnut spread, sugar, and brown sugar. Cream the ingredients together, about 3-4 minutes.

4. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth, about 1 minute.

5. Hand stir in the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until JUST combined. Add the hazelnuts and chocolate chips until JUST combined.

6. Using a teaspoon measure, spoon out cookie dough onto a cookie sheet, spacing the mounds evenly apart so they will not spread into each other when baked. Bake until lightly golden around edges, about 10-12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cook.

7. ENJOY!

1 comment:

Tiffany Teske said...

Oh man, I can't WAIT to make these cookies! Thanks for sharing. I found your blog from Sophie Lord's blog. I try to write about food a couple times a week on my blog Art Food & Motherhood. Check it out if you like. And let me know if it is ok for me to add your link there... Cheers!